Sunday, August 05, 2007

What I've Been Working on Lately


I've been away from my blog lately, attending the latest San Diego Comic Con, so I've been a bit lax in posting new art. Now that I'm more or less recovered from the insanity of SDCC, I thought I'd share some info on the new projects I've been working on lately.

Firstly, I'm still hard at work on my 'dream-project' -- a graphic novel of short stories told in comic book format. All the stories are what would be described as 'contemporary fiction' -- meaning they're really just straight fiction without zombies or dinosaurs or rocketships (not that I don't like all those things!). I've been working on it on and off for the last few months, and its been a great experience. The book is projected to be about 150 pages long, comprised of 5 short stories written and drawn by me, each about 30 pages in length. I've never worked on anything this big before, so its been a bit daunting working on something where I can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel. In the past, most of my comic stuff has been 2-6 pages in length per story, so working on even a 30 pager seems really long to me. Still, since I'm getting the chance to write it myself, I'm really enjoying the opportunity to tell my own stories. The page shown here is from the book, and its the first page of one of the stories. Once I get 2 or 3 stories completed for it, I'm hoping to shop it around and find a publisher for the book.

Secondly, I've been asked to join the fine cartoonists at Transmission X and contribute a strip for their web-comics project. To make it easier for me, they've allowed me to post a new self-contained 4 page story each month, instead doing it weekly like the rest of the gang. I've already completed my first story for it, and will debut it at the upcoming Toronto Comic Arts Festival (TCAF) on August 18th. After working on a lot of longer stories lately, I'm really enjoying the opportunity to write short 4 pagers. For those who haven't checked out the excellent work being done by the Transmission X guys, I urge you to visit the site and check it for yourself.

Finally, I'm still working on a lot of my regular editorial illustration assignments, and trying to get caught up after taking a week away to go to San Diego. So, with all that on my plate, I've been slow in updating this blog, and for that...well, my apologies once again!

That's it for me for now -- hopefully, I'll have some other work to show on a more regular basis!